Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Restoring a 1920s Beaded Dress - Part 2

Finally, the dress is supported by the underlying georgette and can be hung up -- just long enough to take a photo.  On the right is the inside view - most of the dress underlined with polyester georgette hand stitched in place. 

Fortunately, two days before the San Francisco Art Deco Society Preservation Ball, I went to Britex Fabrics in San Francisco and found some silk habutai in a very similar color that I used to cover the holes in the dress. 
I cut the silk habutai to size and carefully stitched it to the front and back bodice along the beaded areas.

One day and many tiny hand stitches to go!
 

Saturday, April 27, 2013 
The Art Deco Preservation Ball at the Paramount Theater in Oakland, California!
My restored dress even hits the dance floor!
TA-DA!




1 comment:

  1. beauitful ... I know how much work that is! You must know my sister ... on of her names is Ann Gibson

    ReplyDelete